Crystal Valley was originally founded in 1927 as Crystal Cooperative Oil Company, one of the earliest petroleum coops in Minnesota.
Over the following decades, Crystal Co-op added several key business units. Expansion into fertilizer and agronomy services took place in the 1950's, and the grain elevator was built in Lake Crystal in 1959. Propane was added in the early 1970's. As a result of the merger with Garden City Farm Service in 1985, the company entered into the livestock feed business.
Various acquisitions expanded the operation into nearby Vernon Center in 1989 with the purchase of Harvest States/GTA's agronomy, feed, and grain facilities; and into Nicollet in 1990 with the purchase of Nicollet Ag Service's agronomy operations and the petroleum assets of Nicollet Co-op Oil in 1993.
In 2002, Southern Valley Co-op (an agronomy and energy cooperative headquartered in Mankato) merged with Crystal Co-op, and the name was changed to Crystal Valley Cooperative.
Four years later in 2006, La Salle Farmers Grain Company (a grain, feed, energy and agronomy cooperative with its main office in La Salle) merged into Crystal Valley and combined sales the exceeded $120 million.
Over the next ten years, no mergers took place; however, Crystal Valley continued to grow organically with total sales exceeding $250 million.
In 2017, FCA Co-op (a grain feed, energy, and agronomy cooperative with its main office in Jackson) merged into Crystal Valley with combined annual sales of $350 million.
Today Crystal Valley serves over 2700 agricultural producers with quality products, excellent facilities and equipment, superior service and first-class professional employees from 14 locations throughout southern Minnesota.